About Carpet Grass Lawn
What is carpet grass? Carpet grass or Axonopus is a common variety of grass growing in most arid tropical regions. It is no different from most other types of grass.
Carpet grass is not the best option if you want to have a high-quality lawn but it is useful as a turfgrass because it grows in the areas where other types of grass don’t.
Carpet grass has a yellowish green or pale green color. This grass is the last one to sprout in spring and the first one to turn brown when the temperatures go down.
There are two carpet grass types:
- Narrowleaf – the type that is most often used in lawns.
- Broadleaf – broadleaf carpet grass forms a fairly dense low-growing turf with a dark green color.
How to Plant Carpet Grass
It is recommended to plant carpet grass after the last frost in spring.
To get a perfectly flat green lawn, you need to figure out how to plant a lawn and try not to miss a single step in the process.
The preparation of soil for the lawn includes the following important points:
- Clean any garbage from the territory (stones, bricks, branches, paper wrappers, etc. – do not bury anything in the soil).
- Uproot stumps and roots of unnecessary trees.
- Get rid of weeds using herbicides.
- Dig up the soil with the addition of organic fertilizers and creating a drainage layer of crushed stone or broken bricks.
- Careful align the soil, removing bumps and hollows.
- Compact the soil with a roller.
- Loosen the soil surface.
So, the grass mixture has been bought, the site is prepared, the only thing left is to add mineral fertilizers to the soil and once again loosen it with rakes before planting the grass. The time frame for sowing lawn grass is anytime from mid-spring to autumn. The main thing is that the weather is dry and windless, otherwise, the seeds will be scattered around.
How to Seed Carpet Grass
Follow these steps to plant carpet grass:
- Disperse the measured seeds. Half of the seeds should be scattered in one direction, and the other half perpendicular to it. Ensure that the seeds are distributed as evenly as possible to achieve the best results.
- Gently mix the soil with the seeds. Ideally, the seeds should be covered with a 2–3 mm layer of the soil, although some of them may be on the surface. Water the seeds using a watering can with a nozzle or a hose with a water spray. Grass will appear in 1–2 weeks. If you have a large area of sod, consider using a seed spreader.
Sown seeds should be carefully rammed in the soil with rakes (you can sprinkle a mulch layer of turf mixture 1.5 cm from the top) and walk along the lawn with a roller, pushing the seeds into the ground. Pour the seeds using a sprinkler system and in the future, during the week, carry out daily watering with small-drop irrigation, so that the water does not wash away the hardened shoots and does not wash away the soil.
Carpet Grass Care
Maintenance for a carpet of luscious green grass is necessary at any time of the year. Even during the winter, you should pay attention to the lawn hidden under the snow – it is advisable not to walk on it, do not arrange a skating rink, and do not block up snowdrifts while cleaning the tracks. Only a regular complex approach can turn wild grassy thickets into a noble, soft, and beautiful lawn.
Here is a list of mandatory measures for caring for the valley in your yard.
- Mow the grass, leaving a height of 5 to 8 centimeters. It is this height (not shorter) that will promote the growth, prevent the appearance of weeds and insect pests.
- Generously and deeply moisten the lawn to help the growth of deep roots. Usually, it should be done no more than one time a week. Too much water reduces the oxygen content in the soil and causes illnesses.
- Fertilize the grass with compost. It is good if the mown grass remains in place to enrich the green carpet with nutrients.
- Loosen the soil. It is better to do it in autumn. This helps air, water, and nutrients penetrate faster into the roots of plants.
- Sow new seeds in sparse areas or select another type of lawn grass for trampled places.
- Replace grass with stones or paving or other covering in places with intensive movement.
- Often check your yard to notice pests and other issues at an early stage.