Choosing the Best String Trimmer Line
A beautiful lawn is the face of a summer residence so most gardeners prefer to sow a special silky grass on their land that not only pleases the eye but also displaces importunate weeds. In addition to fertilizing and watering, lawn grass needs care so it should be periodically mowed. For these purposes, you can choose an electric trimmer or lawn mower.
Many prefer a trimmer. The coil with a fishing line is the main tool of this device, it allows you to quickly cut an even layer of grown grass. In addition, using a trimmer, you can equate the lawn in the most inaccessible places – on sites along the paths and fence, around and bushes, trees or a well.
Regardless of whether you use a conventional tool with only a fishing line or an electric trimmer with a blade and fishing line, sooner or later you will have to change some elements of such a device. Unfortunately, by this time the instruction from the portable lawnmower, where all the necessary requirements are indicated, is already lost and many people are faced with the question of how to buy the best weed eater string for the trimmer.
By the way, here is a video-comparison on trimmer line:
- 1 Characteristics of the trimmer lines for edging
- 2 Thickness, as one of the most important parameters of the strongest weed wacker string
- 3 The top-rated line for heavy weeds available in the market
- 3.1 Weed Eater round line with a diameter of .080 inch. The length is 150 feet.
- 3.2 Husqvarna round line with a diameter of .095 inch. The length is 140 feet.
- 3.3 Oregon square line with a diameter of .095 inch. The length is 685 feet.
- 3.4 LoNoiz spiral line with a diameter of .130 inch. The length is 150 feet.
- 3.5 Cyclone 6-bladed line with a diameter of .155 inch. The length is 315 feet.
- 3.6 Vortex spiral line with a diameter of .105 inch. The length is 550 feet.
- 3.7 DR Blue spiral trimmer line with a diameter of .175 inch. The length is 80 feet.
- 4 Choosing the line string for Husqvarna trimmer
- 5 Square vs twist trimmer line – nuances observed at work
Characteristics of the trimmer lines for edging
For the efficient operation of the trimmer, the correct choice of the line is of considerable importance. Therefore, quite often the owners of such equipment have questions: what properties should a good fishing line have for a trimmer, how to choose the best .095″ trimmer line, is the difference in value justifiable?
Quite a large number of people, especially if they use the trimmer seldom and irregularly, do not think too much about the subtleties of choice, and acquire the first fishing line that is more or less suitable for specific conditions and acceptable in value. However, at least once faced with problems due to the unsuitability of the line for its task, many still think about how to make the right choice?
The operational properties of the fishing line as a cutting element are affected by several basic characteristics:
- Geometric dimensions (diameter or thickness, depending on the shape)
- Material from which the line is made
- Cross-sectional shape
Consider a little more in detail on what affects each of the above parameters.
The thickness of the cord
You can find out the required thickness by looking at the characteristics of the trimmer or by reading the inscriptions on the universal bobbin. The most commonly used cords are with a diameter of 1.2 to 4 mm. In this case, for each individual model, there is a diameter of the line for the trimmer. The fact is that if the line is thinner than necessary, then you will increase the wear of the engine, due to the increased number of rotations of the shaft. If, on the contrary, it is too thick, the resistance to rotation will increase, and the engine will begin to overheat and eventually get damaged. To determine the exact diameter of the line, it is best to navigate by the type of trimmer’s engine. Thus, we get the following:
- For an electric trimmer with a lower location of the engine with a power of less than 500 W, a 1.3 mm line is required. If you could not find this line, then you can use a thicker line up to 1.6 mm, but not more.
- For an electric trimmer with a motor at the top and with a power of about 1 kW, select a 2 mm diameter line.
At the same time, it does not matter which type of the shaft the electric trimmer has, bent or straight (allows you to install blades).
If initially a fishing line with a diameter of 1.6 mm is installed in the tool, then you can put the line with 2 mm in difference, this will not affect the operation of the engine.
If you need the titanium trimmer line for the gasoline model, then in this situation it is necessary to determine what kind of the shaft the mower has. For the bent shaft, lines with a thickness of 2 mm are most often used. But on the tool with a straight shaft, a fishing line of 3 mm or 2.4–2 .5 is installed. The thickest line is usually installed on more powerful tools (from 1.3 kW).
If we talk about which line is better for coping with young grass or perennial deadwood, then there are the cords of the following categories:
- The line from 1.2 to 1.6 mm. This is the thinnest line that is used to flatten a lawn.
- The line of 2–2.4 mm will allow you to cut off both young grass and more rigid. Suitable for occasional use.
- A line from 3 to 3.2 mm will allow mowing grass and thick stems of weeds or dead wood if you rarely leave the country.
The least common is a line for a trimmer of 4 mm. This is due to the fact that rarely anyone has to deal with such serious thickets. However, if you own a powerful gasoline mower and did not show up at the country house for several years, then a line of 4 mm would be the best option.
There is a large selection of cords with a different cross-section, depending on which the trimmer can mow this or that grass:
- Cords with a circular cross-section are the most popular, while these lines are cheaper than the rest. They are good at mowing fresh grass but are worse at coping with deadwood and shrubs. The disadvantage of this line is a rather strong noise, which resembles a buzz from the running engine of the machine.
- The spiral (rotary) cord does not make much noise but does not have high strength. Therefore, this line is suitable only for the thin young grass, which you constantly take care of.
- Square, rectangular or star-shaped fishing line allows mowing even lawn with the low noise level. However, such products also cannot boast of strength.
- A jagged cord with sharp edges is used for fences, large weeds or neglected areas. This line will not make much noise, and thanks to the increased aerodynamic properties, the mower will be given extra power. This line is suitable for a powerful trimmer. The serrated cord is considered durable and reliable.
- A two-component trimmer line with an inner core with a circular cross-section is considered to be the strongest of all. Due to the core made of other material, the cord can mow even small shrubs. However, this line is suitable only for gasoline trimmers. Because of the high cost of such a cord, it is inexpedient to use it daily.
Materials used in the production
The most common material used to produce a fishing line is nylon. It has a solid set of necessary properties – sufficient flexibility and strength, and elastic, which under certain conditions allows avoiding a rupture (nylon is simply stretched). The material is resistant to temperature changes and does not suffer a load.
As for the cost, nylon fishing lines are quite affordable but this does not mean low quality. The ratio of characteristics (price/efficiency/quality) is very good for nylon cord. There is a nylon fishing line, reinforced with aluminum shavings. According to manufacturers, chip reinforcement gives an increase in strength of about 25–30%.
The two-component (coaxial) fishing line for the trimmer is the most durable and reliable. The idea is quite simple – a flexible outer layer is located on a rigid and very strong core. Such a combination of characteristics makes it possible not to lose operational properties for a long time, such a cord is gradually worn out, much slower than other types.
Initially, a line with a steel core was developed for professional use – work in complex areas, mowing grass from roadside roads or near railroad embankments. The only limitation is the power of the tool – it is not recommended to use a cord with a rigid core on gasoline pumps with a power of less than 1.5 kW. The disadvantage is also the price – due to the complexity of manufacturing the cost of the two-component line is noticeably higher than the conventional nylon line.
Thickness, as one of the most important parameters of the strongest weed wacker string
The diameter of the cross-section (or thickness if the line is not round) is one of the main criteria by which the choice is made. The use of a cord that does not correspond to the conditions or power of the unit will either significantly reduce the efficiency of work or will give an increased load to the trimmer nodes, which is also undesirable.
The manual for the lawn mower usually indicates how thick the cord should be. In addition, this parameter is often indicated directly on the body of the universal bobbin that is included in the equipment of the unit. The range of diameters recommended for most of today’s trimmers being sold and used today includes sizes from 1.2 to 4 mm. However, for each specific device, a certain diameter is used, with permissible deviations in one direction or another about 0.3 mm.
The top-rated line for heavy weeds available in the market
According to trimmer line reviews, these are the best options available on the market today:
Weed Eater round line with a diameter of .080 inch. The length is 150 feet.
Husqvarna round line with a diameter of .095 inch. The length is 140 feet.
Oregon square line with a diameter of .095 inch. The length is 685 feet.
LoNoiz spiral line with a diameter of .130 inch. The length is 150 feet.
Cyclone 6-bladed line with a diameter of .155 inch. The length is 315 feet.
Vortex spiral line with a diameter of .105 inch. The length is 550 feet.
DR Blue spiral trimmer line with a diameter of .175 inch. The length is 80 feet.
Choosing the line string for Husqvarna trimmer
Are you thinking about which line to choose for the Husqvarna trimmer? Consider the following parameters:
- The diameter of the trimmer line should match the engine power. According to the parameters, it must be combined with the possibility of a trimmer.
- The line type should be selected based on what vegetation is to be mowed. If you plan to mow the lawn, a thin line is suitable, for the destruction of perennial weeds a thicker line is good.
Square vs twist trimmer line – nuances observed at work
Treating the lawn with a trimmer, it is necessary to avoid contact of the line with rigid elements such as stones, trees, and foundation. Contact with them will lead to the dulling of the line, and you will have to constantly increase it in length.
The main cutting element of the trimmer is a coil equipped with a line of mowing grass. Its price is low, and if you follow the elementary rules of use, it will last long enough. Today, there are fishing lines that differ in their quality, cross-section, and properties.
The line, as a rule, is sold in usual coils in bobbins, or divided into lengths of the required length, according to certain mower models. Therefore, approach the choice of the line with full responsibility to facilitate the work yourself and extend the life of the trimmer.