Tips on How to Replace a Lawn Mower Blade
Dull blades of the Honda lawn mower can be easily sharpened with an abrasive bar or file. However, severely damaged blades should be sharpened on the grinding machine stand. If you don’t know how to remove a lawn mower blade and sharpen it yourself, you can contact a special service where they can help you do that.
The blade of the mower, which has gotten nicks, dents, or burrs from hitting stones and branches, is not good for your lawn. The dull blade tears the grass instead of cutting it clean, which makes it more susceptible to diseases. To sharpen the blade, which is in a pretty good condition, simply squeeze it in the vise every two weeks and walk along the edge with your hone, making sure that your tilt angle corresponds to the one of the factory chamfers. Always unplug the plug wires before the lawn mower blade removal or implementing any maintenance of the mower.
If the blade of the mower is seriously damaged, it must be sharpened on the grinding machine stand or you may need to replace it. At a special store, you can get a sharpening service or you can buy a new blade. But if you have your own grinding machine, it’s easy to sharpen and replace the blades yourself.
Replacing Craftsman Blades
Craftsman lawn mowers are in great demand among consumers because they are considered one of the most reliable in their class. But, nevertheless, in the course of their operation, there are many questions, for example, how to replace and sharpen the blades?
As a rule, the manufacturer always makes sure the lawn mowers have all the necessary equipment, which guarantees high-quality operation of the device. A standard kitting of Craftsman mower has a blade assembly of two knives:
- A sharp knife designed to cut grass. It has wide blades and is sharpened on one side. This is necessary for high-quality and rapid cutting of grass at a given height.
- A special knife for mulching. It finely cuts the grass and pushes it into the grass basket.
When choosing the blades for the lawn mower blade replacement, keep in mind the following:
- It is necessary to give preference only to trusted brands such as John Deere and Husqvarna that cooperate with manufacturers of this equipment and guarantee a high class of quality blades.
- When choosing the blades, it is necessary to give an account of how and where the device will be used, and what loads it will be applied to. Only based on these data, you can give preference to these or those variations of knives.
- For mowing and mulching blades, it is essential to take into account the specific features of each of the blades, their shape, and type of sharpening.
Here is the video-guide to do Craftsman Blade Replacement Yourself:
Guidelines on Changing Riding Lawn Mower Blades
Normally, the blade should be changed once a season. This is done at the end of spring, before the first mowing.
When changing a lawn mower blade, follow these steps:
- Disconnect the lawn mower before starting to work. It is enough to de-energize the electric model. If you use a gasoline lawn mower, make sure there is no fuel in the gas tank.
- Turn the tool to one side and pull out the grass basket.
- Release the blade and the space adjacent to it from the soil and grass.
- Unscrew the fixing bolt with a wrench and take off the blade. Make sure that the blade does not rotate. It is better to do this using working gloves – this will protect you from possible cuts.
- Replace the knife with a new one and secure the bolt.
- It is necessary to tighten sufficiently strong. If the fastener is loosened, the lawn mower will vibrate or the blade may come off.
As you can see, replacing a knife on a push lawn mower is a fairly easy procedure. Any gardener can cope with it without any difficulties.
Sharpening the Blades on Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mowers
The process of sharpening the blades is simple, especially if you adapt to it. This is done using a machine or an angle grinder with an abrasive wheel. It is believed that one blade can be sharpened several times. However, sooner or later it will become thin and it will have to be replaced.
The file can also be used when sharpening blades but such work will be too time-consuming. It is best to use the machine.
In the process of performing sharpening, take care of your safety – put on your glasses and gloves. Do not neglect elementary security rules.
After the sharpening, the blade balancing is checked. On the blade, there is a hole through which it is necessary to pass a nail – on it the blade should perfectly balance. If any defects are found, then you can process the blade with a file. Once the balancing is in order, the blade must be returned to its original position. When you check the balance, you need to install the blades back on the lawnmower. You can read about the blade installation directions in the manual that comes together with your lawnmower.
The process of sharpening mechanical mowers is complicated and this task should not be performed on its own, it is best to entrust it to specialists.
The efficiency of the equipment depends not only on how well the blades are sharpened but also on cleaning the equipment from trimmings of mown grass. Regularly perform the service of lawn mowers and their useful life will last long.