Lawn Grass Fertilizer: How to Choose and Apply
A green, lush and healthy lawn is an ultimate joy for its owner, especially when it is strong and mature enough for you to enjoy a nice landscape. However, to achieve such a result and just get satisfied with the view, you need to undergo a rather exacting process that continues all the way long. Watering, fertilizing and taking constant care of the lawn is the guarantee of its luscious look. Selecting the leading and top effective fertilizer will reduce weed and pest issues, as well as promote a healthy turf. The modern market is filled with various options so that you can always select the best one. Additionally, you can use the more-growth techniques and methods to stimulate the grass vigor. However, understanding the key principles of fertilizer numbers, types and other specifications will help you make the right choice.
When Is the Right Time for Using New Lawn Grass Fertilizer and Which One to Choose?
Generally, the grass requires first feeding right after being planted. Therefore, apply the fertilizer before or right after planting grass seeds. Then, you can use it in spring, when the temperature of the soil reaches 55 degrees Fahrenheit. On average, the first fertilization starts by mid-April, with little differences, depending on the climate and state you live in.
Now you know about the time when to start feeding the grass. But what about the fertilizer you use? When you go to the store, you will find different types of this product, but each one of them has 3 numbers on the label. Basically, they show the percent of nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium. These three components are primary nutrients required for proper growth of your lawn grass. Therefore, if you get fertilizers with 20-5-10 on the label (which is one of the best combinations for spring application), it means your lawn will get 20% nitrogen, 5% phosphate and 10% potassium. Another part of the bag is the filler material you will need for even application.
At this point, when you are aware of the numbers and their meanings, it is vital to understand the use of each component in the bag of fertilizer:
- Nitrogen works best for color promotion and foliar growth;
- Phosphate is essential for root and flower growth, as well as early establishment;
- Potassium is responsible for the grass ability to use nitrogen.
According to the expert opinion, a soil test is a great step before fertilization, as it can indicate the exact nutrient the spot lacks. Afterwards, it is much easier to choose the correct fertilizer type.
Types of Lawn Fertilizers to Make Grass Green: General Classification
Aeration, mowing, trimming, and thatching are important measures of lawn maintenance. However, proper fertilization is far more valuable, as it can considerably simplify further lawn care, promoting proper grass establishment and growth. Various types of fertilizers are offered in the market, but you need to know key differences between them to opt for a suitable one.
Originally, all the fertilizers can be divided into the following:
- Time-release. This option is highly beneficial, as it provides sufficient grass feeding for many months. You do not need to remember the dates and other details about feeding the lawn. This is definitely a good option for busy or laze gardeners;
- Gradual-release. The main advantage of this fertilizer type is slow dissolving, which helps the soil and grass get the necessary nutrients right on time and prevent leaching away from these elements. This fertilizer type is rather easy to apply. Additionally, it bears minimal risks to healthy grass;
- Water soluble or liquid. This food is considered to be a fast and effective way to deliver the necessary nutrients right to grassroots. Lawn fertilizer and grass seed mix very fast, as the food should be spread using a hose;
- Granular. This category contains two subtypes, being slow and time-release. Anyway, these fertilizers are exclusively demanded on the market due to their simple application.
Apart from the main classification, all the above-mentioned fertilizers can be divided into the following:
- Organic ones are natural formulas derived from once-living organisms or byproducts;
- Synthetic formulas are considered to be more effective, as they contain powerful chemical components that provide immediate release and instant greening of the grass.
Common Recommendations on How to Apply Grass Magic Lawn Fertilizer
Irrespective of the fertilizer type you choose, you need to learn the label information thoroughly in order to apply it correctly and witness positive lawn changes. Timing is an important thing in fertilization. Some grass foods are easier to apply, others are more effective, but you also need to consider the grass type you have, the climate around and the area you live in. Once you have selected a suitable fertilizer, you should also consider general instructions before, during and after feeding grass:
- Watering. Some people may say that frequent watering leads to the need of frequent fertilizing, but that’s not true. Actually, like any other plant, grass requires water to grow healthy and green, so make sure it receives a sufficient amount of water, especially after you apply fertilizer;
- More lawn fertilizer greener grass is a common mistake. Do not use the whole bag of fertilizer at once. Start the application horizontally and repeat it vertically to cover the whole area and be sure that each part of the lawn is properly fed. Overuse of the fertilizer will do no good, if not harm.
- Clear the lawn from fertilizer remnants in order to prevent extra burden and harm to the healthy grass.