Principles of Grass Lawn Care: Keeping Your Lawn Well-Ordered
Before you find out the most effective and useful recommendations concerning lawn care, it is inevitable to mention that lawn is the ‘face’ of your yard. Therefore, it requires constant, timely and thorough assistance and care. Of course, lush lawn grass requires considerable effort and time, but it is not about constant struggle. You do not have to spend much money on lawn service, diverse equipment or chemicals. Growing healthy grass is a matter of knowing what you need to give your loan and when.
Ultimate attention should be paid to lawn care during hot spring and summer months, but grass should be also taken care of in winter when it seems like nothing is required. The key to success is tackling your right steps at the proper time.
Top Grass Lawn Care Tips: Seasonal Maintenance
While the vast majority of Internet and paper experts talk about summertime lawn care, here you will find the most expanded version of lawn care guide. The first and the most important care starts in spring when everything is about to blossom, and your grass starts growing actively. So, here what grass masters lawn care presupposes for this season:
- Cleaning up. At this point, it is important to kick off the mowing and growing season with a quick cleaning. Rake out all the dead grass and remnants of weeds. Pick up debris and sticks that have accumulated during winter;
- Using quality and effective fertilizers. Since lawn usually wakes up after the winter dormancy rather active, you need to apply a good fertilizer to nourish grass plant roots and get ready for a strong growing season;
- Mowing high. Check the height of your mower before you start cutting the grass. Start the season with the highest setting possible for your grass type, as it will encourage your grass plants to grow thick with deep roots. As a result, you will get healthy grass without any weeds;
- Beating weeds. Wild violets and dandelions should be killed before they start growing wide and harming your green grass. Purchase an effective spray to avoid unwanted disturbance for your grass roots;
- Thickening and patching. Sowing is an inevitable part of green grass lawn care that should be done for both warm and cold season grass.
Following these recommendations will help your grass survive through spring and look perfect. However, methods of lawn care will be different for summer. Learn detailed information to avoid mistakes and help your grass grow healthy:
- Mowing high. An excellent summer lawn starts with deep and healthy roots. And the only way to stimulate their growth is to mow as high as possible for the type of grass you have. Sharpening mower blades is another concern, as it guarantees a clean cut and minimal moisture loss;
- Watering is an essential point that keeps grass healthy, green and growing. Provide your lawn with 1 inch of water each week. Choose the right time, between 6-10 a.m. To prevent water loss due to evaporation;
- Avoiding grub damage. Apply strong chemicals that will help you minimize grub-related issues. Spot the beetle invasion in early summer to avoid damage to grass root they can cause;
- Feeding grass. Provide your grass with the necessary fuel to sustain intensive growth during the hot season.
How to Take Care of Lawn Grass in Fall and Winter
While spring and summer are most important for warm-season grass growth, fall and winter require proper cool-season grass care. Therefore, you should make some other steps to keep your lawn gorgeous looking and healthy. Fall lawn care presupposes the following:
- Fall features perfect weather conditions for cool-season grass growth. So, it is vital to provide your lawn with extra fertilization for strong roots. Apply special “food” for your grass two times during this season;
- Mulching leaves. While leaves lying on the grass harm it greatly, well-chopped pieces can provide the opposite effect. Use your mower to create ultimately small pieces that will decompose and fertilize the soil. Besides, you can either rake or vacuum leaves from under the shrubs and walkways;
- Seeding. Choose the best grass seed for bare areas, since fall is the perfect time to thicken a thin lawn;
- Mowing short. Fall is the time when you need to mow the lawn several inches shorter than usual. Depending on the area you live in, shorter grass will prevent snow mold or leaves from matting down.
Winter is the last but not the least season for grass works lawn care. Even if your lawn is covered with snow or ice, you need to be ready with some ideas and actions. Actually, lawn care season is finished at this point, but planning is still an inevitable point. Consider the lawn problems you had last year and try to find effective solutions. Sharpen mower blades, schedule lawn feeding and take other actions to be completely ready for the upcoming season.
Additionally, you need to avoid lawn traffic, or at least limit it. Since grass goes dormant in winter, it is important to protect resting grass by preventing busy foot or vehicle traffic.
Using safe ice melt products will help avoid unwanted damage to plant roots. Replace rock salt with less harmful ice-melters, including calcium chlorine that is safe and is likely to cause less damage to hardscapes and lawn.
Considering all these tips for grass roots lawn care, you are likely to have the best looking lawn in the whole neighborhood. Keep in mind that following the instructions is important, but doing it at the right time is the secret of success. Start planning in winter and act in spring to keep your lawn neat and orderly. Avoid drastic ways of beating weeds and other thorns as they can considerably damage the healthy grass. Well-planned lawn care will prevent you from unexpected situations and similar issues.